The Search Committee, created as outlined in board policy, will guide the first stage of the search. USG Chancellor Hank Huckaby and the Board of Regents have retained R. William Funk and Associates, Dallas, Texas, to provide executive search consulting services.
Members of the Presidential Search Committee are as follows:
- Regent Larry Walker, committee chair
- Regent Rusty Griffin
- Regent Don Leebern
- Regent Dink NeSmith
- Regent Doreen Poitevint
- Regent Ben Tarbutton III
- Regent Philip Wilheit
- Dr. Alan Darvill, Regents Professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, and Plant Biology, Franklin College of Arts and Sciences, and Director of the Complex Carbohydrate Research Center
- Dr. Steve Stice, Georgia Research Alliance Eminent Scholar in Reproductive Physiology, College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences, and Director of the Regenerative Bioscience Center
- Dr. K. Paige Carmichael, Professor of Pathology, Josiah Meigs Distinguished Teaching Professor and Associate Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine
- Mr. W. Dennis Epps, Deputy Director, Carl Vinson Institute of Government, and Associate Director for the Vinson Institute’s Governmental Services and Research Division
- Dr. Denise A. Spangler, Professor of Mathematics Education and Department Head of Mathematics and Science Education, College of Education
- Dr. John C. Inscoe, Albert W. Saye Professor and UGA Professor of History
- Dr. Robert Sumichrast, Dean and Simon S. Selig, Jr. Chair for Economic Growth, Terry College of Business
- Mr. Jerry Daniel, IT Professional, Department of Mathematics and President of the UGA Staff Council
- Mr. Will Burgess, President, UGA Student Government Association
- Mr. William D. Young Jr., President, General Wholesale Company and Chair of the University of Georgia Foundation
- Judge Steve Jones, United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and President of the UGA Alumni Association
- Mr. Rogers Wade, President and Chief Executive Officer Georgia Public Policy Foundation and member of the UGA Agricultural Engineering Advisory Board
- Mr. Chris Cummiskey, Commissioner, Georgia Department of Economic Development
- Mr. Larry Thompson, John A. Sibley Professor in Corporate and Business Law, School of Law; former deputy attorney general for the United States; and former senior vice president of government affairs, general counsel and secretary for PepsiCo.
Editor’s note: On June 18, 2012, PepsiCo, Inc. announced that Larry Thompson has rejoined the company as Executive Vice President, Government Affairs, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, effective July 30.